Experiment 2: I did this one before at one of my camps, it’s really good, I would recommend it!
What you’ll need:
- Drinking glass
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- Some sugar to make it sweet
- Squeeze as much of the juice from the lemon as you can into the glass.
- Pour in an equal amount of water as lemon juice.
- Stir in the teaspoon of baking soda.
- Give the mixture a taste and add in some sugar if you think it needs to be sweeter.
The mixture you created should go bubbly and taste like a lemonade, soda, fizzy or soft drink, if you added some sugar it might even taste like a lemon flavoured soft drink you’ve bought at a store. The bubbles that form when you add the baking soda to the lemon mixture are carbon dioxide (CO2), these are the same bubbles you’ll find in proper fizzy drinks. Of course they add a few other flavored sweeteners but it’s not much different to what you made. If you are wondering how the carbon dioxide bubbles formed, it was because you created a chemical reaction when you added the lemon (an acid) to
the baking soda (a base)