This summer I chose to do all my summer courses with Anokha learning. Lara was born in June so I didn’t know if I would have the time to do all three courses as I normally do. I did though, by the skin of my teeth! The fact that the courses I did were actually enjoyable made a huge difference. The first course I did was Calm Bootcamp
This summer course was all about managing stress in positive and healthy ways for your wellbeing and the wellbeing of children. The importance of a relaxing, calm and kind classroom environment was explored. It also provided me with range of coping skills and tools which can be used personally and can be implemented in a whole class setting. The skills learned in this course complement the SPHE curriculum and enable children to learn about their emotional states through engaging with the content in an interactive and immersive manner.
The course also provides activities and exercises which help children increase their bodily awareness, which will empower them to emotionally regulate in order to ensure a more relaxed, calm and kind classroom environment.
The importance of nutrition, exercise and other positive strategies were discussed in this course too.
Below are the course aims. It looks like a lot but it is so manageable , and as you can see it supports school self-evaluation too. I got a lot out of this course and I would highly recommend it. There is also a free module on restorative practice. All details of their summer courses can be found here:
To identify ways of managing stress as well as recognising and implementing coping skills to alleviate stress.
- To empower children to take responsibility for their mental and emotional well-being; to increase awareness of their internal states, to regulate their own emotions and to use appropriate coping tools to reduce anxiety and stress.
- To equip children with proprioceptive activities, mindful movement and breathing exercises to build up their ‘Well-Being Well’.
- To promote ‘Kindfulness’ (becoming more mindfully kind) and practice self-compassion with a view to improving personal and class well-being.
- Learn how to implement Cognitive Behaviour Techniques in the classroom and everyday life. Develop insights into reframing negative thoughts to positive thoughts using Cognitive Behaviour Techniques.
- To recognise and foster the importance of a calm, positive and relaxed learning & work environment.
- To equip teachers to integrate drama, literacy, PE, Circle Time and ICT to reduce anxiety and promote calming tools.
- To use the skills learned to complement the SPHE curriculum and provide ideas for use throughout the curriculum. Learning will also inform School Self Evaluation and encourage a school wide approach with inks/resources to share with parents and the wider community.
- Learning will inform School Self Evaluation specifically in the areas of bullying prevention, child protection as well as ensuring the emotional and mental wellbeing of students, teaching staff and all staff working in the school environment. Experiential learning from this course will also positively enhance the Code of Behaviour in the school.
- To introduce Goal Setting and Time Management techniques to children and improve on personal practice.
- To create an awareness of the importance of nutrition and physical exercise for well-being, stress and anxiety management