Hello fellow NQT’s!
Anyone who has a job look away now- go enjoy your holidays! Same for those of you heading off to the Gaeltacht. This post is for those of us who are struggling through the job application process. I have heard tell that the letter of application is hugely important. I suppose if the interview board read the letter before your SAF, then they have already formed an opinion of you. Below I will give an outline of how I am approaching the letter of application.
1. Introduce yourself, state why you are writing to them, state where you’re from, the degrees you hold, which college they are from.
2. State whether you are probated or not.
3. State your previous post, or if you have been subbing, say where and which classes you are familiar with. If you haven’t subbed, mention the classes you did TP with.
4. State your interests, and how these interests would suit that particular school.
5. Finish with a strong paragraph about yourself, and why you are the best candidate for the job.
6. Say you are available for interview at any time, and thank the reader for taking the time to consider your application.
Remember- a cover letter is not the same as a letter of application. A cover letter is a short note, detailing what is contained in the application, and a thank you for considering the application.
Now, I have a question for you, how long are your letters of application? I have kept mine to a page with size 10 font. I would love to go to two pages, but worry it will be discarded. If you could comment in the section underneath with the length of your letters, I’d really appreciate it!
Best of luck!