I have collaborated with IPS Financial Advice to write this post. I am one of those teachers who knows absolutely nothing about pensions, entitlements, tax etc. I basically still find it difficult to fully understand my payslip six years into my teaching career. Lately I had to use some sick leave and luckily my sister is a principal because I had her hounded asking for advice while I tried to figure out what leave I had and so on. So essentially, I need a lot of help in this area! I was googling it and came across IPS Financial Advice, who offer free seminars to teachers explaining all of this stuff! I couldn’t believe it. They recently won the Excellence in Business Awards for providing financial advice to the public sector. I think every teacher should do a seminar, just to inform yourself on such issues. I am sure I am not the only one who finds the financial side of things confusing, I for one had never heard of an AVC. I still don’t know what it means but I am hoping after attending one of the seminars it will become clearer. They also offer one to one advice via a new platform called MadeSimple which allows financial advice to be delivered one to one in an online meeting setting.
The upcoming seminars are specific to your pension scheme. The seminars can be booked on Eventbrite through the invitation links enclosed below. So you select the seminar for you, based on when you entered service for the public sector.
- Teacher Pension & Retirement Planning – pre 1995 Entrants
Monday, 16th November, 4.30pm https://www.eventbrite.ie/e/114876803612
- Teacher Pension & Retirement Planning – 1995-2004 Entrants
Tuesday, 17th November, 4.30pm https://www.eventbrite.ie/e/114879664168
- Teacher Pension & Retirement Planning – 2004-2012 Entrants
Wednesday, 18th November, 4.30pm https://www.eventbrite.ie/e/114884241860
- Teacher Pension & Retirement Planning – Post 2013 Entrants
Thursday, 19th November, 4.30pm https://www.eventbrite.ie/e/114889888750
The main topics for the pension seminars include:
- The main pension scheme benefits – pension, tax free lump sum, ill-health and death-in-service, specific to each scheme grouping.
- AVCs – their purpose, the tax advantages, their usage.
- Duration of Service considerations – Notional Service Purchase, Purchase under PCW, transfer of prior pension benefits, Professional Added Years (as appropriate).
- Pensionable Remuneration – Salary Scale & Allowances, 3-year averaging, Tax Free Lump Sum maximisation – previous service, acting-up, dynamisation, pay increase on October 1.
- Overseas Service Advice – occupational pensions, and UK State Pensions benefits advice.
- Early Retirement Options including Cost Neutral Early Retirement
Request your free financial report here https://ipsfinancialadvice.ie/online-financial-advice/
Join the Facebook group Teacher Financial Advice MadeSimple
Follow on Instagram where they answer your frequently asked questions
Subscribe to their Newsletter http://eepurl.com/g-Otej
October Newsletter for Public Sector https://us10.campaign-
Should you have any questions that you did not get to ask, you can email them directly at