Supplementary Panel Explanation

June 7, 2019

0 minute read

I have had so many queries about the panel. I never had to use my panel rights as I got a permanent job before I actually had any panel rights as it was clear, but I found this information on the INTO website and the page.

The Supplementary Panel is used to make appointments to full-time, permanent jobs, only where these jobs are not otherwise needed to facilitate the redeployment of surplus permanent or CID-holding teachers through the Main Panel.

The Supplementary Panel is intended to give teachers who have a minimum service threshold priority access to jobs in their diocese, within a 45km radius of their current school.

It does not guarantee teachers a permanent position, and the Supplementary Panel will not clear in every diocese or region.



In order to be eligible for the Supplementary Panel, a teacher must have moved up at least three incremental points for their substitute or fixed term service by the end of the December when they apply, or if they have only moved up two incremental points, they must hold a contract to the end of the school year in which they apply.

One incremental point is earned for every 183 days of substitute work, or every 365 days of temporary work (both equating to a year of work).

The service in question doesn’t have to be continuous, so if a teacher is only working sporadically, it could take four or five or six years to earn the necessary increments.

Part-time fixed-term service will count toward your incremental progression, and your supplementary panel rights.

Your current point on the incremental scale is printed on the top right hand corner of your payslip.

Only non-permanent service, paid by the Department of Education, will count toward Supplementary Panel rights. Incremental credit for service abroad, or in private schools, or for relevant non-teaching experience will not be counted, and neither will increments earned for previous permanent service.



Broadly speaking, if you started at point one of the salary scale, and all your incremental progressions have been earned through non-permanent service, you will need to either be at point three with a contract from 21 December 2018 to the end of the school year, or at point four.



If you started at point two of the salary scale (i.e., if you have a B.Ed), you will need to either be at point four, with a contract from 21 December 2018 to the end of the school year, or at point five of the scale, in order to access the Supplementary Panel.

If you started at the third point of the salary scale (i.e., if you have a Postgraduate qualification), you will need to be at point five with a contract from 21 December 2018 to the end of the year, or at point six. 


There is also an earnings criteria to meet in the calendar year in which you apply – you must have gross earnings of €26,100 in 2018 if you’re on the post 2010 salary scale, or €29,000 if you’re on the pre 2011 scale.

Your earnings for the year to date will be printed on your payslip.



You must be fully registered with the Teaching Council as a Primary Teacher, without conditions or restrictions. This includes having completed your probation or induction through Droichead, including any outstanding NIPT meetings.



For the Catholic and Church of Ireland panels, this will usually be the diocese where you are currently working.

However, if you have worked between two panel areas in the calendar year in which you are applying for Supplementary Panel, you can elect to either go on the Panel in which you had the most service during that year, or the Panel where you hold a contract to the end of the school year.

Educate Together and An Foras Pátrúnachta, operate a national panel, so you may be offered a post within a 45km radius of your current school, without reference to diocesan boundaries, and at Part 2 of the application form, you may also indicate if you are willing to consider jobs in other counties.


More info here:


When the supplementary panel clears, any qualified teacher can apply for permanent jobs unless the school states that the DIP is a requirement.


    Your Cart
    Your cart is emptyReturn to Shop